June 9 2009|04.32 PM UTC

Erik Chang

Total Cost of Ownership: iPhone 3GS versus Palm Pre versus Android G1

Category: UncategorizedTags: , , , , ,

With the recent release information on Apple’s new iPhone 3GS and Palm’s venture back into the market with their highly anticipated Palm Pre, there are more legitimate smartphone options than ever. How will you decide on which device you will spend your hard earned money? Below is a comprehensive cost/benefit analysis of the latest mobile technologies, analyzing the comparative features of each, along with the actual price you will pay for the phone and service over the course of a two year contract.

To see the true cost of owning one of these smartphone, based on your actual usage, check out BillShrink’s iPhone SG3 vs Palm Pre comparison tool and find the best cell phone plans that works for you.

(click image to enlarge)

iPhone 3GS vs. Pre vs. G1

Check out the new graphics comparing myTouch 3G, iPhone 3GS and the Palm Pre.

Embed the above graphics on your blog:

• Digg
  • Reddit
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Tipd
http://www.billshrink.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/digg_48.png http://www.billshrink.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/reddit_48.png http://www.billshrink.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/stumbleupon_48.png http://www.billshrink.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/delicious_48.png http://www.billshrink.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/google_48.png http://www.billshrink.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/yahoobuzz_48.png http://www.billshrink.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/sociofluid/images/twitter_48.png

{ 170 comments… read them below or add one }

John June 11, 2009 at 6:11 am

This helps explain why so many people can’t pay their mortgages and are over their heads in debt. If you can’t pay cash for one of these phones, you can’t afford the phone-period.

CJ June 11, 2009 at 6:40 am

What matters to me is: the network (coverage, speed), the Apps, and Price (in that order). I’ve used all three carriers, and Sprint is by far the best choice of these three. Apple clearly wins on apps. Sprint’s Pre takes price (I did not realize Sprint’s Everything plan really means “everything”). Based on all I’ve read this week, I’m excited to get a Pre and am not going to wait (unless there really is a wait-list). Also, I think it will be fun to create some simple apps myself for the linux based Pre.

jarrod June 11, 2009 at 7:09 am

For Steve – “How much do I have to pay for the Pre to NOT send my calls to voicemail while I’m listening to Pandora? Oh, wait, it’s a CDMA/EVDO limitation! Sprint and Verizon are completely unacceptable for smartphones until LTE is implemented.”

what model of phone are you using? I have a bb curve; and pandora stops when a call comes in; then resumes once it is over. I’m guessing you are not even a sprint customer..given the LTE response.

so to answer your question $0.

tunnie June 11, 2009 at 8:05 am

did not know American contract prices where so high! I pay £5 so $8? a month, for 150 mins / 150 txts and unlimited data.

I could pay £12 ($20) for unlimited data/calls/txts.

$3,000 total cost for iPhone? Thats insane.

cloud9ine June 11, 2009 at 10:06 am

To the iPhone haters – hater1:

1) MMS – MMS/SMS is higher priority to a phone user than email. This is a fact. Email gets lost. Texts don’t.

2) See 1

3) No comments – not adding to discussion on three phones above.

4) “T-Mobile’s 3G network is laughable” : So is AT & T’s.

5) subjective opinion

Genovelle June 11, 2009 at 10:22 am

How lame. The Pre won’t be able to handle the most important multitasking job, a phone call while surfing the web. So the wonderful pandora streaming while making a call. I have on more than one occasion wanted a friend to hear a song I had on my Iphone and could play it for them or the call me while I’m out and about and ask me to look up an address or a map or what ever we were surfing earlier and i can put them on speaker or use my headphones or bluetooth, open safari and bamm, I’m surfing the web, the I can even check my mail type a reply even open an attachment all while on the phone. I guess it depends on what is important in multiasking. If I have 7 web pages open, the Iphone remembers them and refreshes them when I go back. It keeps something I’m not using from killing my battery.

I can have the power when I need it, but I don’t want 7 websites and Asphalt 4 running in the background because I forgot they were open when I my girlfriend call bug me and just put the phone back in my pocket when I hung up. This is will happen often with the Pre, If they can do real games, then three hours later I need to make a call and the phone is dead. Oh yeah the extra battery, well this was at 11 AM, I use my extra battery and forget and do the same again its now 3PM and its dead again. Only I don’t have another battery and since I don’t have a desk at work no place to charge the other battery. This would stink as I see it. Apple is not a stupid company. They focus more the the customer experience over the long haul and the flashy tends to burn out. Time will tell.

Jeremy Chone June 11, 2009 at 12:09 pm

You should compare with G2 not G1.

silvestre June 11, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Where is Nokia N97?!

kevinf June 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I’ve been a Palm Treo 650 user for a couple of years on T-Mo, and have been happy with the service, so have been looking forward to the Pre, but not willing to switch to Sprint. I had them once before a few years back, and didn’t much care for their service. I was on AT&T for a while, but coverage was awful, including once having to drive up the hill from the parking lot of their Redmond offices to be able to get a connection on my old Samsung phone.

Now, I’ve seen and played with the G1, and will seriously consider the G2. I have liked what I’ve seen so far. With the lack of a keyboard, AT&T only service, and ridiculously high acquisition prices, the iPhone just doesn’t cut it for me. Yes, it’s a cool MP3 player, and the games are cool, but I use a phone for email, data, phone calls, and scheduling. The iPhone’s emphasis is too much towards entertainment for me.

Daniel Sims June 11, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I don’t need unlimited, I just want the cheapest voice+data plan possible:
$55 for G1
$70 for Pre
$70 for iPhone (no sms)

Dirk June 11, 2009 at 3:42 pm

AT&T may have the fastest 3G network but Sprint has the largest and Verizon has the best service period in my opinion, I’ve heard rumors that Apple and Verizon are talking about bringing the iphone to Verizon and why not, Apple will make another fortune because the iphone sales with AT&T are slowing and it’s time to open a new revenue stream that Verizon could offer with the largest subscriber base available right now, but imagine if we could get an iphone with Sprint’s everything plan for $99, WHAT! Apple wouldn’t be able to keep up with demand for the iphone.

Mark June 11, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I have to wonder why 3 of the top 5 selling smartphones are not on this list…

Seriously, whats with the lack of Blackberry? They have a larger market share then any of the phones compared here.

Will the 4th June 11, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I’m not biased but i am leaning towards the pre because of the insurance that covers it if lost or stolen… that is a hefty fee to pay and i know if i were to go to sprint i could possible get a better discount… i’ve been waying my options

ter June 11, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Billshrink’s wizard is too simple. For multi-users, it assumes data is needed on all lines. Our family has four lines but I only need data on one. AT&T w/ iPhone is actually cheaper than Sprint w. Pre because Sprint makes you pay for data on all 4 lines even when it is not needed/wanted.

Stephen June 11, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I just thought of something when I saw the GPS functions listed, Sprint includes Turn-by-turn navigation in the price of the plan, when the iPhone’s t-by-t navi comes out will you update it to show that sprint’s is included and the iPhone’s isn’t?

C_Mick June 11, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Response:

1) Yes, to a phone. No, not to a smart phone. MMS standards are different across carriers and it’s a technology which will disappear in the next 2-3 years – FACT. They WANT you to use E-mail instead. E-mails disappear? Huh?

2) You shouldn’t own one of these phones if you’re not using E-Mail. What’s the point? If you’re texting…just get a stupid Sidekick or something. These are SMART PHONES. The whole point is to do computer-like things – E-Mail, view documents and browse the FULL internet.

3) Valid

4) You’re insane. AT&T has the fastest network – this is a fact. HSDPA is basically a whole notch above Sprint and Verizon’s ’3G’ AT&T is a little smaller, admitted – but they’re in like 400 metro area with 3G service. They’re not very far behind Sprint and Verizon. Choosing between the ‘biggest’ or the ‘best’, I’ll take the best – I don’t live in Podunk, Idaho – I live in the city. I never get less than 500 down / 150 up on my phone. I’ve seen as high as 1.3 down / 400 up. I’ve literally NEVER seen my iPhone go into Edge (2.5 G – basically think Sprint) mode – I live in the Detroit area. Do a speed test on your phone (can you even do it on your phone?) and tell me what you get.

5) Well – T-Mobile’s 3G network sparcity is not subjective. It’s a fact – BY FAR the smallest 3G network. Not even close. There are probably more ATT 3G towers in SE Michigan than T-Mobile has in the whole country. FACT. It’s laughable that they even sell it.

Andre June 11, 2009 at 7:14 pm

If you have a Sprint Family plan and you want Data on the Pre only, you get hosed. I did a comp for 5 phones. You save about $40 per month not including $100 on the iPhone vs. the Pre if you go with AT&T vs.Sprint. Something to consider

Armando June 11, 2009 at 8:18 pm

For 2 iPhones family plan at 1400 minutes + unlimited data + 200 SMS on wife’s phone + 1500 SMS on my phone, I pay: $126.40 ($66.40 voice plan – company discount + $20 data plan + $30 data plan/1500SMS + $10 2nd line). That’s $63.20 per iPhone. Not bad. With the new iPhone 3G plan that would be $156.40 ($15 data plan more per phone).

Ronald Lewis June 11, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Interesting comparison. AT&T needs to follow Sprint’s lead and introduce unlimited texting, messaging, and voice for iPhone users — or risk further outrage on top of the iPhone 3G S pricing mess.

Finally, my upgrade costs for the iPhone 3G S won’t be as much, because I arranged for my account to qualify for “new customer” pricing as I’ve noted here (and I’m only eleven months in to my two year contract).

Andre June 12, 2009 at 6:25 am

This is all true if you want an individual plan with one phone. If however, you want to add a Palm Pre to a Family Plan, you must switch every phone to Everything Data whether they need it or not. If I compare 5 phones with one Pre on Sprint vs. 5 phones with one iPhone on ATT – you are paying at least $40. more per month with Sprint. Much more flexibility on AT&T. I currently have 3 flip phones that absolutely never use data. They will be on Everything Data – no options. Just be aware – the Palm Pre is not friendly to Family Plans

onthuhlist June 12, 2009 at 7:45 am

It’s amazing how many people didn’t look at the chart. So many reviews say it’s not a fair comparison because the comparable iphone is now $99 instead of $199. But the full comparison is looking at the total cost, and that’s where AT&T/iPhone combo can’t compete with Sprint/Palm Pre. It’s not just the difference of one or two hundred dollars. The iPhone costs at least $1000 more any way you cut it, because of the increased subscription cost for the AT&T service. Even if iPhones were free, you’re still throwing a Grand out the window in service costs compared to Sprint/Palm Pre. And by the way, I like the iPhone a lot better. But it’s not worth $1000 more. You cannot separate the phone from the subscription service, so let’s stop seeing reviews with dumb remarks like “The iPhone 3G is very comparable to the Palm Pre in terms of capability, and capacity. At a third of the price, it’s actually a bargain as well.” This is Apple’s achilles heel: they have linked America’s best phone to America’s priciest service.

family_guy June 12, 2009 at 9:24 am

Can someone do a side-by-side comparison of all three phones with 2 people or 4 people on a family/group plan? Armando has the iPhone/AT&T info – what about the others? Just wondering if the calculations change a lot if you consider multiple people.

Theresa K. June 12, 2009 at 9:37 am

Happy Android user here! Can’t imagine a phone better than the G1. I’ve had it since November 2008 and I am still discovering cool things it can do. We have 5 lines on our T-Mobile family plan; three standard phones, one Blackberry and one G1. Our phone bill is $200/month with unlimited everything. Would love to get the bill down, but not sure how to do that any further.

It seems to me that no one has mentioned that apps in the Android Market are 99% free. FREE. The only apps programs I’ve purchased are Quickoffice for Android, Stream Furious Pro, Greed (an upgraded feed reader) and Bejeweled; rest are all free.

My college-aged daughter uses the Blackberry and has an iTouch (free with a MacBook). My G1 functions exactly like the iTouch, except with phone capabilities. She loves the Blackberry, but concurrently complains constantly that it works poorly. I think the main difference between smart phones seems to be brand loyalty. Blackberry and iPhone people are in love with the idea that they have those phones, at least in my experience; and they are willing to ignore things like price and functionality just to have those phones. My G1 is a stylish and functional workhorse with low operating cost (the chart above is generalized to new users and not all customers.

Regarding the T-Mobile G1 network, I live in the Twin Cities metro area. Since becoming a G1 user, I have traveled from one end of the state to the other, from cities to suburbs to extreme rural areas. My phone works everywhere EXCEPT Duluth, MN. I man an office; my boss and his wife have ATT and travel all over. Sure their phone works in many places, but the signal strength is often poor and garbled.

Thanks for this excellent forum and for being open to users input! I just joined BillShrink!

C_Mick June 12, 2009 at 10:27 am

I keep hearing about the ‘iPhone 3G S pricing mess’ ?

What mess? $200 for a 16 GB if you’re eligible for an equipment upgrade. More if you’re not. Why is this so crazy? I just got a 3G about 2 weeks ago (yes, they’re giving me a 3G S for no charge on the 19th). Let’s say some HOT Blackberry comes out for ATT in September. I would likely have to pay FULL RETAIL PRICE ($500-600).

THIS IS STANDARD EQUIPMENT POLICY! Why is everybody complaining? You can’t just get the discounted price every 2 months.

Sergio June 12, 2009 at 12:27 pm

People should refuse text messaging from phone providers. It cost them nothing to send your text message. You are being ripped off. If everyone stood their ground you’d find that it would be included on every plan at no cost.

Matthew June 12, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Thanks for updating the chart, but I still think you should include MobileMe ($99/year). Apple spent time talking about the new iPhone features at WWDC that require it.

@C_Mick
I mostly agree abou the pricing, but I think the point is that if you bought a 3G when it came out, it’s cheaper to cancel your plan, pay the early termination fee, and start a new contract than to just upgrade. That’a silly and not good customer service.

On your other points:
“1) MMS – if this is a sticking point to you, you clearly don’t use your phone as a true ’smart’ phone. E-mail, anyone? If you and your peers have smart phones, you should be emailing that stuff anyway.”

Are you volunteering to buy smart phones for all my friends? That’s very generous! Until they’re delivered, we’ll have to keep using MMS.

“2) AT&Ts text rates: again – the only people I actually text are people who have super-old clamshells. Why wouldn’t you just e-mail for free? Everyone I know has some push email account that’s pretty much as instant as texting. You can subtract that $20/month or pay $5/month for 200 texts (6 a day, plenty BECAUSE YOU’LL BE EMAILING). Plus, there are free apps that allow you to text those who don’t do email on their phone FOR FREE using your email.”

Again, lots of new phones don’t support email, or people don’t set it up. And I route my email through Gmail, so it isn’t instantaneous. SMS is. (This isn’t a common, but some people do it). Plus, why should I clutter my email box with a bunch of one-line, throw-away messages?

DennisK June 12, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I just built a spreadsheet to compare the 1400/1500 minute Family Plan options from Sprint and AT&T using the Palm Pre and the iPhone 3G and 3GS models.

Using the iPhone 3G 8GB($99) as a starting point the total cost over 24 months is $1,700 higher than a comparable Sprint plan. I did have to add in AT&T plan options to match Nights/WE call times (7PM-7AM on Sprint; 9PM-6AM on ATT) and unlimited data/text/messaging.

I’m more than a bit shocked at the AT&T costs. I can’t get the full discount on the Palm Pre as an existing Sprint customer and really thought I’d be better off switching to AT&T and getting iPhones. As it turns out, I’ll save money over 24 months even if I pay almost full price for two Palm Pre’s.

Chris June 13, 2009 at 3:13 pm

At the end of the day; the total cost of ownership is 100% based on the network. Recurring costs are far more likely to make a difference than a mere 100$ up-front cost. If you are REALLY serious about saving money. You just gotta look at your usage of the network. At the end of the day;

For most people; a pay as you go plan makes more sense than anything else. As far as phone? Get the one you want really. A few bucks upfront won’t change much long-term. You wanna multi-task? Get the Pre; You want to buy games? Do the iPhone. Simple!

Randy June 13, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I think the iPhone 3G S wins out here. The App Store alone creates and ocean of difference between the experiences one can have on an iPhone 3G S vs. and Android or Pre. And with the new 3.0 OS coming out next week, this discussion will become largely moot.

jacob June 17, 2009 at 10:33 pm

its pretty ridiculous to compare the app markets on android and the iphone cause that shiny bricks been out HOW LONG?? android is still pretty new and already has over 10% of the # of apps on the iphone. And its way ahead of the curve, nearly every “new” feature on the 3gs was already on the G1. plus its got limitless space when you take micro sd cards into account, that makes it more usable and easy, just swap cards for infinite space (32gb+)

sorry but android wins. and Nike+ is stupid, just download buddy runner on the android market and there you go, its better and free.

poor iphone fanboys, their god is slowly falling behind, and guess what the G1 is just the first of many unique android devices to come..

jacob June 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm

its just like the Zune’s first attempt on apple.. yeah cosmetically speaking the G1 is slightly bigger than the iphone(but personally i always hated the idea of a full-touch brick with only 1 real button), however ultimately Android will win.

james braselton June 18, 2009 at 8:46 am

HI THERE WOW THERE IS ALMOST NO DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE SMART PHONES EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE WAY MORE ADVANCED TECHNOLGIES IN THE IPHONE LIKE RECORD VDIEO FOR UPLOAD TOO YOU TUBE 3 MP CAMRA YOU CAN OPT FOR 32 GB VERSION BUT APPLE HAS RELEASED SPECS FOR THE 4G IPHONE IN 2011 WITH A 1.2 GHZ CPU 128 GB OF MEMORY AND HALOGRAPHIC PROJECTOR AND I THINK THEY WILL RELEASE IHALO FOR IT TOO HALO ON THE GO AND A 5 MP CAMRA TOO

james June 18, 2009 at 6:25 pm

The best is the iphone 3G because of the support for applications. Specs wise, it is not bad as you can see in a direct comparison

AT&T WORKER June 19, 2009 at 8:41 pm

TO DAVO
Just to let you know the Iphone 3GS is available for new or existing customer for $199 for the 16GB and $299 for the 32GB as long as you are eligible for an upgrade. If you dont know what you are talking about please do not comment. There are benefits with all carriers depending on the length of time you stay with the company. Different phones will have different features. Get what works for you!

Morgana June 19, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I tried the Pre. It’s cute, has great features, and the $99 everything plan is great. But I couldn’t get reception to save my life. I live one mile from the Sprint store, and less than a half mile from three towers. Tech support thought I might have a bad phone, I exchanged it. Still no reception.

(My antique Sprint treo gets fine reception. There’s something wrong with the Pre.)

I guess I’ll try an iphone. Wish me luck, guys!

Morgana June 19, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Regarding comment by DaVo. I’ve had my treo for almost three years, and I’ve been with Sprint for over ten. They didn’t offer me a $150 rebate when I upgraded. It also took them four hours to unsuccessfully transfer my phone number to a new plan. Grrrr.

Mike June 20, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Ok, I am a college professor that refused to give out his cell phone number lest I be bombarded by those who did not pass. No one wants to know why they did pass. Perhaps the I-phone is going to give me the flexibility to show them why they did not pass by returning their papers graded with comments. Guess I could do it with something else and cheaper but there may not be an app for that.
Mike

jacky June 20, 2009 at 8:54 pm

iphone can’t even mms. How’s it a smartphone? Should be a dumbphone.
Yea its got more apps than android but half are fart makers and soundboards or period trackers. The goods ones are on the android market also. And sprints network? R u kiddin me? Soon as they merged with nextel I left. I could get better service with an AM radio in a bomb shelter. In a year or so android will take over

Juan June 24, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Couple things:
When the G1 first came out, it didn’t have video recording, they added it in the last update about a month ago, so I’m sure they’ll probably do the same with the pre.
Another thing is that if you’re a long time T-Mobile customer, they have special rate plans where you can basically get 2 phones with unlimited Voice for just $90.00 a month. Most people have a spouse they share a line with and the fact is, T-Mobile’s family plans are second to none. As an Example, I have the G1, and my wife and 3 kids each have their phones (Not G1′s), but I’m only paying $200.00 a month for all 5 phones. That includes unlimited Texting on all phones and unlimited everything to each of their Fav Fives. We only share an 1800 min. plan, but since my wife and kids pretty much stick to their Fav Fives, I really don’t need more air time than that. If I were to add up the Air time that my wife and kids use on their Fav 5′s and get that much air time from AT&T or Sprint, I guarantee you my bill would be at least double.

coolfx35 June 28, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Ok so I just realized how much I miss having a custom tone for text messages… I know the standard one is very clean and fits in with the whole theme of the phone very well but with all the customization options on the Pre I can’t imagine why the only thing you can select for are phone calls.

I’m pretty sure if people are vocal enough about such an easy change then Palm will respond fairly quickly.

http://www.palmpreforum.org This is all about the plam pre

john stringer July 4, 2009 at 12:46 am

crazy how much we are willing to pay for the palm pre.

Deborah Nava July 9, 2009 at 7:54 am

MULTITASKING is the key word for all these phones. What good are all these applications if you can only use them 1 at a time!?

Sprint was thinking ahead here and with Palm Pre allowing Multitasking-makes the Pre the best.

George July 9, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Idiot multitasking has nothing to do with that when you can easily have acces to more the iPhone clearly won and it has 32gb not 16gb.

Bret July 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

OK, all of you douchenozzles, listen up, because I have a few salient points that I hope will kill this whole thread:

1) you iPhone lovers: great, you love your iPhone. but unless you have an actual FACT backing up your argument on why “the iPhone rocks!!’ shut the fuck up! go blow Steve Jobs already, you homos!

2) apps are NOT the best factor for deciding, as somebody will build whatever app you want once a platform has traction on the market. so, “We’ve got an app for that!” is not a valid argument.

3) George: multitasking rocks, YOU are the idiot, and you can suck my balls.

4) if you are looking for a cheap, bargain-basement rateplan, you have no business looking at smartphones! leave the hightech stuff to us high-intellect, high-salary types, and take your low-rent ass to Metro PCS!

JC July 21, 2009 at 5:45 pm

It all comes down from what you want from your phone and all its features…also remember will ALL cell phone plans you have to add in taxes and all sorts of fees that mark up your monthly payment…I were to pick it will be the iPhone because of its vast applications store, functionality and the vast market of services that work with the iPhone exclusively

Sam Stange August 3, 2009 at 6:25 am

It gets worse, my wife would like a smart phone… Here’s my analysis…

For couples (with tax):
* 2 iPhones: $179.98 per month or $4779 over two years.
* 2 Palm Pre’s: $140/month or $3829 over two years.
* 2 T-Mobile myTouches: $159.97/month or $4309 over two years.
* Pick a Verizon smart phone, you’ll pay $144.98/month or $3949 over 2 years.

For a more detailed analysis for couples, take a look at my blog. Also, not mentioned here, but 4G is coming to Verizon in 1st quarter 2010. Locking in a 2 year contract could get uncomfortable.

Paula August 8, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Recently switched to sprint from version after 10 years for the pre …so happy I did. I did a whole lot of research , OVERALL sprints family plan is best so as long as all are smart phones – and with all the discounts available for all the apps they throw in itsworth it – with others you will pay xtra. Didn’t like the fact that pre had no video or voice calling – BUT I have been assured this is coming reel soon.. The only other promlem I have to mention is theservice areafor sprint – not the bestfrom my home and first it is a phone – so to fix this I had to purchase air riad (sp?) for the home computer so get service – all sprint offered was waiving the monthly service fee for this…but it solved that only other problem I had. And this was with usbuying out of a contract……

Brian August 9, 2009 at 8:45 am

Why isn’t the world’s most popular smartphone listed in this chart?

Do any of you know what the world’s most common smartphone is??

These phones are available in one form or another on ALL carriers!

May 4th, 2009 report:
NPD’s Top 5 rankings:
1.RIM BlackBerry Curve (all 83XX models)
2.Apple iPhone 3G (all models)
3.RIM BlackBerry Storm
4.RIM BlackBerry Pearl (all models, except flip)
5.T-Mobile G1

Blackberry takes 3 of the top 5 selling spots! There are more Blackberrys in use worldwide than there are iPhones.

So why isn’t Blackberry in this comparison? My VERIZON Blackberry kicks the cr@p out of my roommates iPhone. We go to breakfast, guess which phone we’re watching youtube.com on? Not the iPhone! And my Blackberry still works despite exposure to snow, rain, sleet, toilet water (fully dunked THREE times!), drops from hand to concrete and from a moving car onto a freeway! Crack the screen on your iPhone (which is glass) and its now useless or semi-functional at best.

So let’s see some Blackberry up there! RIM has the Curve on almost all carriers in one form or another allowing you to choose where you want to go. And features like Blackberry Messenger work for free across all networks! Built in physical keyboard on my Curve works well and after a year of heavy use I’ve had to clean the Pearl (the little roller ball) once. And that was personal preference for feel.

So… can we get a REAL phone comparison? You’re chart is weak in my opinion, and obviously the opinions of many many other people who have contributed to the posts on this! (and yes, I read them ALL!)

Anonymous August 29, 2009 at 6:19 pm

wow… i seriously think the palm pre is the best phone. by the way, all of you iphone lovers probably have a small wang.

John Jackson September 21, 2009 at 9:06 am

I am an IT manager at a medical school, where we have supported mobile devices for student and faculty use for 10 years, primarily Palm. Last year we switched to iPhone / IPod Touch as our primary recommendation. We have converted all our web sites to be mobile optimized, and deal with iPhone & Palm support on a daily basis. I was an iPhone beta tester for Apple.

My wife recently purchased a Palm Pree, so I’ve been supporting her, and experimenting with that platform. Here are my impressions:
- Palm pushed out this product too early. Support staff at Palm and Sprint don’t know the product and took forever to solve simple problems.
- Palm really screwed up by not including an emulator that allows the Pre to run legacy Palm software (30,000 apps or so). Sure a third party provides that, but Palm should have included it in the bundle.
- The lack of syncing with a deskotp calendar/contact list is a serious shortcoming of the Pre.
- Battery life of the Pre is abysmal compared to the iPhone.
- The WebOS is very rough around the edges compared to the iPhone. It simply is not as easy to use.
- Palm will probably never catch up to the number of apps in iTunes.

So I cannot see any advantage to buying a Pre, unless you don’t want to deal with AT&T.